Student need to know many things about assessment. Initially, all assessments need to be transparent (no hidden agenda). This means the learners understand what they are going to be assessed on and what to expect. The learners also need to know if the assessment is formative or summative. In addition, all the following are things students need to know about assessment:
- Its overview, that is how many assessments are there in the course, and the weighting each carry, and how and when are they conducted, etc.
- The policies on submission, extensions, resubmissions and resits, etc.
- That the assessment is going to be consistent with the learning outcomes provided to them in the start of the course.
- The the assessment is going to be demanding and challenging, but fair and equitable and cover the different components of the course content.
- The the assessment is a chance to learn from mistakes and improve learning, deeply and strategically.
- The the assessment is a way for them to know if they are up to the demands of the course.
- The the assessment is going to help the them see the big picture and be ready for the real world.